5.01.2020

Steampunk prosthetic

Happy May, everyone! I've been finding artsy things to do to keep me busy during quarantine - how about you?

I must confess, I went out on a 'limb' by experimenting with my manni's arm 💪😀 - I call it a vintage leather steampunk prosthetic!


I wanted it to look like old leather, similar to prosthetics you'd see around the Civil War Era up to around the turn of the last century. And of course, the majority of steampunk elements are courtesy of A Vintage Girl! I used small and large pipes as well as various cogs and gears from the printers tray trinket set and a gaggle of gears set. I won't go through the whole process except to say it was tiring to finish! As I adhered the steampunk elements, it was hard to find a position to lay the arm down for fear of snapping stuff off! But I'm exceptionally pleased with the result! 






The other component to this was Finnabair waxes, especially the new mattes. 









And don't forget the ring 🐙


It's really a cool decor piece! 


I think Fanni the Manni is pleased with the results and was happy to have contributed to further art experimentation. 😁 Now I'll have to consider doing a matching right arm, or maybe I'll do a different style. Stay tuned! 




7 comments:

  1. I see now why your blog is called Oddly Appealing! lol This is genius x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome piece, amazing piece as always hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder, how did this idea come to your mind? It looks so incredible, that I can not even describe it. How much time did it take to make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've had a mannequin with removeable arms for about 10 years when I was selling vintage clothing on Ebay. And she's just been standing in the closet. So I had the idea to make one of her arms a mixed media piece, just to see what would happen. I'd say altogether with stopping and starting, it probably would've taken about 8 hrs straight. It actually took a couple days of doing a little, then stopping, then doing more. The hardest part was glue elements on because they stuck out in different spots so it was hard to lay the arm down to let it dry! I'll probably do the other arm and the body at some point!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges. You hit it really well. It is very lifelike and with a steampunk twist it looks great. Hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Absolutely awesome! Great idea! Fantastic colours! Thank you for sharing with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure had fun, and you're half-way ready to give an arm & a leg to be able to spend all your time creArting :) Thanks for sharing at Dream In Darkness.

    ReplyDelete

Hey - Tell me something good!